Premiership Transfer News of the Week

Manchester United’s replacement for Edwin van De Sar and Cesc Fabregas’ future continue to dominate transfer gossip columns while Chelsea striker Didier Drogba could well be on his way out of Stamford Bridge. All this and more in the round up of this week’s transfer rumours.

Ever since Edwin van de Sar announced that he would be retiring at the end of the season, Manchester United have been linked to an endless list of shot stoppers. This week, The Sun reported that Lyon keeper Hugo Lloris could be on his way to Old Trafford this summer after the Frenchman hinted that a move to United would interest him. Lloris said, “Manchester United is a great football institution. It’s one of the clubs with the most titles in the world. So, of course, they’re one of the teams I dream about playing for.” It is believed that the Red Devils will have to pay around £16 million for his services.

It was always going to be the case that when Arsenal played Barcelona in the Champions League last week that the future of Cesc Fabregas would be discussed. Prior to the game, his father said that Barcelona would be the only club that his son would leave Arsenal for, squashing the interest of Chelsea and Real Madrid. However after the Gunner’s memorable victory against the Catalan giants, the Spaniard indicated that he may well stay at the Emirates. The Gunner’s captain said, “I’m showing I’m committed to this club and we want to do great things. I want to continue working to improve and help us win trophies. My future is the last thing on my mind.”

After Chelsea’s remarkable spending spree on the last day of the January transfer window, the Blues continue to be linked with big money moves. The Sunday Express said that Chelsea are lining up a £30 million summer move for Brazilian ‘wunderkind’ Neymar who plays for Santos. The club failed with a £22 million bid last summer, but it looks as though they are willing to up their offer. Neymar could be a replacement for Didier Drogba who has been linked away from West London once again this week. The striker was reportedly annoyed about being left on the bench in the 0-0 draw with local rivals Fulham on Monday and numerous news sources rumoured that Turkish side Galatasaray could well make a move for the 33 year old.

Surprisingly more has been discussed this week about the future of Manchester City players rather than who the club will buy in the summer. Both David Silva and Carlos Tevez could leave Eastlands according to two leading papers The Daily Mail revealed that ‘homesick’ Silva could be shock target for Atletico Madrid while The Sun said Carlos Tevez is on the wish list of Barcelona and Inter Milan. However, a week couldn’t past without the club being linked to a top European player! According to The People, City have Valencia midfielder Juan Mata in their sights.

Fresh from spending close to £60 million on Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez, Liverpool are interested in signing Wolfsburg centre back Simon Kjaer and Lille star Gervinho for £9 million and £10 million respectively according to talkSPORT. It is believed that Tottenham are also interested in Kjaer but this week the North London club have once again been heavily linked with Brazilian forward Luis Fabiano who plays for Sevilla. The likes of The Daily Mail, Skysports and The Sun have all said that Tottenham are on alert after Fabiano revealed that he wants to leave the Spanish side.

Elsewhere Newcastle could lose controversial midfielder Joey Barton according to The Metro. The midfielder is unhappy that the club continues to lose its top players and says that they need to improve in all areas. However, the Magpies could spend some of the £35 million that they received from the sale of Andy Carroll on West Ham’s Carlton Cole according to The Sunday Mirror. Cole will cost the club around £10 million. Newcastle’s neighbours Sunderland are interested in signing Michael Owen but could face competition from Everton; that is according to The People.

Lastly The Daily Mirror came up with a classic by saying that Blackburn are plotting an ‘audacious’ £20 million offer for Roma forward Mirko Vucinic while West Brom’s sporting director Dan Ashworth revealed that the club made an astonishing 29 bids on strikers in January!

Footybunker.com